Who would have thought hand sanitisers would be THE body care essential. Not me!
In fact, I wrote a post a while back about all the nasties in the well-known mainstream hand sanitisers and why ideally you don’t use them at all!
However, life in 2020 is different and I have accepted that a hand sanitiser in the pocket/ handbag/car is needed!
As most of us have heard by now, hand sanitisers need to contain at least 60% alcohol or 70% isopropanol to be effective. Ethyl alcohol is naturally less toxic than isopropyl alcohol. Hand sanitisers made with more natural ingredients often use alcohol made from sugar-cane or other plants.
Although alcohol of some form is a necessary ingredient in hand sanitisers to kill viruses, it can dehydrate the skin. Ideally grab a hand sanitiser with a moisturising ingredient like aloe vera or natural oils.
Not much else is needed in hand sanitisers, however many well-known brands contain a few other nasty chemicals that are not needed. So don’t compromise as there are a plethora of natural hand sanitiser options!
Try these low-tox natural hand sanitisers
- EO with Organic Lavender or Peppermint – my first discovery when I was looking for a natural hand sanitiser. I also love their mini spray which fits in your purse/pocket.
- Dottera ON GUARD Sanitising Mist – I love Doterra Oils and wasn’t I pleased that I had a few of these sprays stored before the world went into lockdown! Even the teenage girls enjoy using this one when I offer it around. WIN! The cinnamon gives it a very different smell to most hand sanitisers and it’s packed full of lovely oils too!
- Elyptol – a recent discovery from Chemist Warehouse and one of their only natural options. A nice Australian option with eucalyptus as a key ingredient of course!
TREAT YOUR HANDS
- Eco Sonya – Australian made with organic aloe vera as well as eucalyptus and lemongrass essential oils.
- Amazing Oils – with the added benefit of magnesium.
- Black Chicken – Essential oil blend of citrus, peppermint & lavender with coconut oil
- Dr Bronners – containing Organic Lavender or Peppermint
- Saba Organics – Australian made with Kakadu Plum Extract
- Every Bit Organic – Australian made with Citrus and Aloe Vera Gel
FUN FOR THE KIDS
- Squeakie – cute bottle with graphics to grab the attention of the little ones. Refills also available.
BEST FOR THE ECO-CONCIOUS
- Earth Purities – one of only a couple of brands that offer refill packs
- The Girl & Olive – a glass bottle option if you are avoiding plastic
FROM THE SUPERMARKET
- Sukin – good price but I find the alcohol is the overpowering smell
- Thank you – Australian brand that gives back to those in need although I would rather this didn’t contain triethanolamine and not sure if the fragrance is from a natural source?
BUY IN PACKS
- Buy hand sanitisers with at least 60% alcohol (ideally sourced from cane sugar or natural sources).
- Ideally “Fragrance” is from natural sources.
- Beware of two many petroleum sourced ingredients which include PEG, DEA, MEA, EDTA, Toluene, Benzene, parafin wax, mineral oil and names with butyl and propyl in them.
- Additional oils or aloe vera is a good addition for the moisturising effect – especially since we are using it so much!
- A natural-looking label and name doesn’t mean natural – read the ingredients! If you see too many chemical looking ingredients (see point above) then find a better option.
Are you using a natural hand sanitiser? What’s your favourite?